Saturday, 22 March 2014

Yorkshire Dales 28/02/14


28/02/14

The next location on my list for this project is The Yorkshire Dales. I have chosen this location for my project so I can focus more on the agricultural side of things. I want to show what farming has done to the countryside. The shots will be of the patchwork pattern of fields across the dales, the hedges and fences creating the borders, and the farm houses in the vales. I will also be heading to a reservoir for more architectural shots in a more scenic location. I will also be on the look out for more island trees like in the Watford shoot as I should be able to get better shots with the dales being so open.

Contact sheets can be seen below.





Due to time issues I wasn't able to spend as much time as I would of liked at this location. Meaning I had to go to certain spots and take the shots then move on. I would of liked to spend more time there, explore more to get more of the shots I wanted, but was unable to, and due to the location being so far away, most likely won't be able to make another visit before the project ends. Because of this I chose to spend most of my time at the reservoir to get more architectural/scenic shots.
For the start of the shoot I went to a village overlooking a valley hoping for the patchwork shots described earlier, but I just couldn't make the compositions work for me. 

Jaimie Golby

Jaimie Golby
 The above images were taken around the back of the village looking out over the valley, with these shots I was trying to show the fields in the background with using the tree as the foreground. While trying to incorporate the walls within the image as well for a bit more human impact. I think I tried adding too much into the composition and over complicated things, drawing the style away from the desired minimalistic approach. As mentioned above, I would of liked to get closer to the fields to get better compositions and angles but time didn't allow, so I had to take the few shots around this village, and then move on the reservoir down in the valley.
 
Jaimie Golby
The above image is a stitched composite image of two photographs. Here I was trying to show the fields as well as the dam and didn't have a wide angle lens that was enough to show what I wanted so to put them together in photoshop. The sensor was quite dusty as can be seen, but the blots can easily be removed in Photoshop if using this image as a final.
The below images are some more of around the dam, using long exposure when possible to smooth the water out to make the images more appealing. 


Jaimie Golby

Jaimie Golby


Jaimie Golby
Although the above image is quite cluttered it's still a possible final image. It portrays the patchwork fields I was after, a man made river cutting through a woodland, and the base of the dam, all strong elements in what I was after depicting within my images. The composition of the image fits with the style, with strong leading lines, depending on other images in the series it may fit, it may not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment