08/03/14
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ashridge-estate/
As
I couldn't get into Knebworth or Hatfield house, and because Hertford
Castle wasn't very successful, I decided to look for other estate
houses with grounds where I could document the landscape gardening.
During my research I found Ashridge Estate.
Much
like Knebworth house this estate is acres of landscape altered and
maintained by people.
Again
I chose a estate house because of the maintained landscape gardens
and the grounds which may look like natural woodland but is
maintained with deforestation to control the trees.
The
contact sheet from this shoot can be seen below.
The
first shots of this shoot are of the woodland, I quickly realised
this wasn't what I was after and so had to head for the house and its
gardens. Unfortunately the house and woodland weren't close and so it
took time to get the house by foot, so by the time I got there I
didn't have much time left to shoot.
As
shown in the contact sheets I went for compositions were the gardens
could be seen but with leading lines into house. I felt the gardens
were too bare, so I didn't shoot much here. This would be the same
pretty much every where because of the time of year. I think the
compositions worked well, and the photos would have been successful
if taken in the spring or summer, when there was leaves on the trees
and flowers growing, because as it was the flowerbeds were just full
of stalks of flowers and not a lot else, there was no colour going
on, and nothing exciting happening in the images.
![]() |
| Jaimie Golby |
In
the image above I think it's quite obvious that it would benefit from
having some flowers in the frame to make it more interesting. The
composition works, but its just to bare and boring. The time of the
year is all wrong for hots like these, ones that depend on the
foliage to make the image interesting and to bring it to life.
![]() |
| Jaimie Golby |
This
above image is more interesting as it gets closer to the subject. But
once again it suffers from the same as first, its too bare and boring
and is lacking elements and colour within the image.
![]() |
| Jaimie Golby |
I
really like the composition of this image, I think it works really
well, and has a great sky in as well. The image just doesn't work for
the series though. Perhaps it would benefit from being a quicker
exposure, the long exposure used created the interesting sky, but
sacrificed sharpness, the blur of motion can be seen in the trees, I
feel its a bit too much, perhaps it would work in another image set.
It also looks like composition could be improved by shooting from a
higher perspective, and maybe using a wider angle lens to get more
within the frame.





No comments:
Post a Comment