Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Artist Statement


Artist Statement

I am an aspiring landscape photographer who works currently exclusively digitally with my Canon 60D. I find this medium suits my style best because it's a solid camera that allows plenty of flexibility with attachments such as gradient filters, tripods, shutter release and strobe lighting. I find working digitally suits me best as its convenient medium that allows quick transition into Photoshop to enhance and alter the images I capture, to give them more of a personal touch, generating my preferred aesthetic, which is generally a black and white minimalistic approach.

Each shot I take involves a sort of ritual. I arrive on location, assess the area and look for places that offer the best composition on my subject. I then set the tripod up and take a light reading, dialling the settings into the camera. I then add the required filters, checking composition, focus, ect, and stand back to take the shot with the shutter release. This gives me the time to think about ways how I want to depict the scene, how I want an image to look. A lot of the time I use a 10 stop filter which grants me the time to stand back to reflect on how I want the next shot to look, or how to improve the previous. I like to use long exposures as I love aesthetic it gives, especially when water is involved, and so a lot of my images utilise many filters. I think long exposure is quite important to my work as it offers a timeless feel to the photographs, it portrays a world we can't see, but it is there.

This recurring theme of long exposure and black and white images help portray this idea of capturing a moment. You can snap away with a camera and take many pictures, but I feel this method of standing back, reflecting and using long exposures to capture chunks of time, instead of just a split second, helps take the images away from the world we live in, and into something else, something more. I feel its a more creative method that can really drive the viewers imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment