14/03/14
From
the start of the project I was always looking for an 'island' tree to
start the series off, just never finding the right one. I was looking
for one in complete isolation, so that when I photographed it, I only
got the tree and the surrounding field, I wanted nothing in the
background so the focus of the image was completely on the tree and
the field it sat in. I tried many many places looking for a tree
suitable, but never finding anyway. Until one day when coming home on
the train I spotted this tree in a far off field. I was actually on
the Welwyn viaduct when I spotted it, so knew roughly where it was
and quite annoyed that I had been so close to it before and just not
known about it. Well anyway, after spotting it, I decided to go and
find it.
The
contact sheets from the shoot can be seen below.
After
walking around the village for a while and not finding this field I
was about to give up and drive off, but a passing glance as driving
away I spotted a small secluded, discreet ally leading between two
houses, so I pulled up to have a look. And sure enough it was the
right place, and there was the tree sitting at the top of the hill!
After looking and looking I was quite relieved to find this location,
and it being so close to another shoot location as well.
For
this shoot I relied on using the graduated filters, I think I picked
one that was a little too strong however, resulting in some of the
images being a bit too dark, this was easily adjusted in Photoshop
however.
I
wanted a single tree to start the series off because it was a simple,
subtle element that people don't think twice about. It's just a tree
in a field. But its the story behind it that I was after.
There
are these island trees all over the place. They are the last
remaining tree of a woodland that once stood there before the rest
had been cleared away to make room for other things, in this case to
make room for fields in the agricultural business. I think this is a
great start to a progressive series about man's impact on the
environment.
As
seen below I did make quite a major change to the image, flipping the
path to move the leading line into centre of the image. I did this to
draw attention to the tree not away from it. Although this does raise
questions whether I should of made changes due to the nature of the
project.
![]() |
| Jaimie Golby |




No comments:
Post a Comment