Sunday, 17 November 2013

Transformative Studio Task


Initial thoughts and ideas
As this sub-project needs to relate to the larger negotiated project I needed to think of ways to bring a landscape into a studio environment. My first thoughts of how to achieve this was to recreate a 'model' landscape, but this would be too time consuming and likely wouldn't be worth the effort. I then thought of using items that looked like things you might find in an outside environment. I tried something like this before using walls and bedsheets, I used a blue wall as the sky and a brown/orange sheet and used the folds to create mounds, when looking at it from the right perspective, and using the correct lighting I was able to make the blue look like the sky and the sheets as a desert with the folds looking like sand dunes, using a wide aperture I was able to make use of a shallow depth of field so the details of the wall and cloth had a soft focus, making it hard to see they were just fabric, I then introduced some objects to the scene to make them a bit more interesting and to try and make them look like structures in the environment.

Below you can see my images from a previous project mentioned above. 


Jaimie Golby
Jaimie Golby
Jaimie Golby
Jaimie Golby



Another idea I had for bringing the landscape to the studio was to create a scene using things found, such as plants, branches, pencils, litter. This idea is much like the above but utilising more objects and being less abstract, I think the above idea requires the viewer to have to imagine the scene as a landscape and not see it for what it really was, just a pile of sheets and a wall. 


After a bit of research I found images of artists using food to recreate a landscape. Some of the scenes looked quite believable and were very effective. The idea of using the texture, colour and likeness of foods work really well to create an abstract dream-like landscape. http://www.moillusions.com/carl-warners-food-landscapes-or/

Carl Warner


Carl Warner

Carl Warner

Carl Warner


Although I like the two ideas above and think they will work well with my project I feel there both quite colour dependant, and this transformative studio project is a black and white film project. Although the above images don't look like they will work in black and white, perhaps a starker landscape will. Such as a single tree in a field (much like the landscapes by Michael Henson). 
Using black and white would increase the realism within the images, making it potentially harder to differentiate between a created scene and the 'real thing'. Black and white would mean the focus was more on the texture, shape, form, light and shadows within the image, and if all were executed correctly perhaps the image could pass for an actual landscape. 

Hilden & Diaz

Hilden & Diaz
When researching another idea came to me for this project. I saw this project called Forms in Nature by Hilden and Diaz and thought it would be quite fun to recreate something similar, using the shadows of 'nature' cast indoors. I did a project last year using silhouettes of cutouts which which could be used to create the shapes needed to cast the desired shadows. Simply by putting the cutout in front of a light source, closer to the light for bigger soft focused shadows, further away for smaller and sharper, the shadow the cutout will be cast across the room. I think this idea would work quite well with black and white as the shadows would standout quite a lot and there isn't much colour in a darkened room anyway. 

On their blog Hilden and Diaz explain that their light sculpture was inspired by Ernst Haeckel's drawings. It works by using a intensifying light source within the sculpture that casts off the shadows of the roots, brighter light creates stronger and larger shadows. The sculpture creates 360 degrees of shadows, which when used in the centre of a room, fills it entirely of these tree-like shadows giving the deception of a forest indoors.(T.Hilden and P.Diaz. http://piodiaz.wordpress.com/about/ 15 Nov 2012 [Accessed 16/11/13])

No comments:

Post a Comment