Friday, 22 November 2013

Bruges, Belgium



A couple of nights ago I went to Bruges to start shooting for this project. I went for some urban cityscapes, and to do some location scouting for future possible shoots. I only went for two nights, traveling throughout the days, so there wasn't a great deal of time available.
The weather throughout the day wasn't great, it was completely overcast for the most part, and then rain in the evenings. I found the best time for shooting was late evening, when the rain had stopped and when the lights came on outside the buildings to light them up. The best locations were around the canal and around the squares where the streets opened up for a wider view, and so you got the reflections of the lights in the water.
I chose Bruges as a possible location for one of my shoots for this project because I thought a city location would work well to show how man-made things are part of the landscape. Using a urban location to show that this is the new 'natural', this is the norm of our day and age.
I also chose a city for the architecture. Buildings are man's home, and people are part of nature, so what they create must be part of that nature too? Buildings are just a modern day cave. Using the buildings as a subject within this project shows how these mad-made things have become part of the landscape, there not something separated from it, but something part of it.

In the two colour images below you can see 'nature' within an urban environment, the moss on the bridge, the trees, the water and the swan swimming along the canal. This just goes to show how 'nature' doesn't fight against the man-made structures but rather works around them or with them to prosper, in the images they are one together, both natural elements. 


Jaimie Golby

Jaimie Golby

Jaimie Golby

No comments:

Post a Comment